Saturday, November 10, 2007

My Own Prison

Wow, I definitely have created my own prison this time. I completely screwed myself over for my semiotic analysis. I do not know why I do this to myself... But I did.

It took me forever to decided on a topic. I was considering doing something on why I wear the clothing that I wear, but I never got around to it. Then I was going to do Creed music videos. I have their greatest hits CD and it came with a DVD with all of their music videos. After watching them all numerous times and not finding anything, I realised that in their last 3 videos (the videos released from their 'Weathered' album (their album released after switching record labels)) had many signs of Americanization. In all the 3 videos there were numerous American flags and I found it suspicious that there were no American flags in their videos prior to this album. BLAH! Not a good topic. I soon discovered that in one of their videos there is a strong sense of the female objectification. BLAH! That was cliché. At this point, a week before the essay is due, I haven't decided on a topic and am thoroughly frustrated with the assignment. I tried again by trying to make sense of the opening credits for the movie 'Se7en' with Brad Pitt (What a babe!). Once again, I'm lost in a world of semiotics. I gave up, I wrote about how a music video by Creed illustrates that technology holds humans captive. I had no idea what to say and it took hours just to write one paragraph. I was very disappointed in myself and confused about what I was doing and whether I was doing this whole thing right or not.

I was just about ready to print it off Wednesday morning and hand it in. I did not care that my paper did not make any sense and strayed away from the topic. I did not care that my essay was crap. I just wanted to be done with it. In my ranting about my paper, I commented to myself that the character in the Creed music video was stupid and evil and reminded me of Hitler.

EPIPHANY! - A sudden moment of realisation. It hit me! This video is about war. Here I am, the morning before the paper is due and I'm re-writing it all. WOW! I was very surprised with myself. I had motivation and determination to prove my points about war in this video and I still cannot believe that I re-wrote my entire paper that evil Wednesday morning.

After re-reading my essay today, I am satisfied. I feel I have good points and that I completed a quality semiotic analysis. My biggest problem with this essay was elaboration... I think. My paper was short and I believe this was because I simply stated my arguments. I really am not sure about what grade I will receive and I truly am worried about it.

I do not know how I feel about this essay anymore; it frustrated and continues to frustrate me to this day.

Creed - My Own Prison

Cited Work:

My Own Prison. Dir. Stephen Scott. Perf. Scott Stapp, Mark Tremonti, Brian Marshall, Scott Phillips. DVD. Warner Music Canada, 2004.

No comments: