Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Boys Vs. Grils

Today's discussion about the story we read in English class, 'Boys and Girls' by Alice Munro, really got me thinking. When my professor, Cinda, mentioned the idea of Sex Vs. Gender, I became intrigued.

The story illustrates the maturity one acquires during/after puberty, and the instance of her dreaming of a male heroin enforces the difference between genders.

From personal experience, this issue is one that has meaning. As a homosexual, I believe I can understand the difference more clearly than a heterosexual. I have the correct chromosomes for a male (my sex), but I feel I have many feminine characteristics combined with my sexuality that make-up and influence my gender.

In relation to media, it is amazing how much stereotypes enforce the blurred connection between sex and gender. They are totally different entities, and I believe that there is almost a third entity which is being ignored, that of sexuality. To determine whom a person is, it is important to study their sex, gender, and sexuality - rather than stereotype them as male, female, butch, and other terms.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use a photograph of yours in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt
matt@wefeelfine.org