Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Privilege or A Right?

Today in class, there was a heavy debate between Mark and Caitlin. I am unsure of my feelings towards this situation because in some sense, I agree with both points made.

I agree that being able to attend an education institution is a privilege when compared to people in other countries who do not have education, but in Canada where we all live, I believe it is not a privilege because it is normal to have an education in Canada. Attending a post-secondary institution in Canada is something to work for, something that is 'better' than a normal, expected high school education and I believe that is what Cailtin was trying to hint at.

In terms of the actual debate, some may call it an argument; I feel I learned a lot about my two peers. I feel that I learned that Caitlin is somewhat headstrong, but with reason. She has valid points, but sometimes is unable to voice them. As for Mark, I believe that he is also headstrong because he is passionately thinking about the bigger picture, and for the sake of this class, I choose to agree with Mark because it is important to look at the bigger picture when concerned with media.

No comments: