Thursday, October 18, 2007

"Dumbledore is Gay"

When it comes to other readings, there is not that many books that I would like to read. Personally reading is not my favourite thing in the world, but I guess it has got to be done.

I have never been interested in the Harry Potter series before, and I think that is because when it first came out my parents forbid it because magic is evil. In recent headlines, at a press conference to promote the seventh Harry Potter book, J.K. Rowling admitted that the character Dumbledore is actually gay. This got my attention. I had never paid any attention to Harry Potter but now that I could possibly relate to it, I became intrigued.


No, I haven’t started frantically reading the books yet, but in the future I probably will. Not only are they revolutionary pieces of literature (not for their simple language that I have been told of, but because the books have started a generation of thousands of Harry Potter fans,), but also now I have a character to relate to in the books. I am also sure that by having a gay character, these books will set a tolerance with today’s youth. By exposing children to different types of people through such a popular piece of media, acceptance is a possible outcome in youth and adulthood.

The Harry Potter books have had a vast impact on today’s children and youth and quite possibly can affect the future of literature in media. There are also movies now, adding to Harry Potter’s media base. It is truly amazing how a fictional character can have such an impact on the world.

Cited Work:

Weingarten, Tara, and Peg Tyre. "Rowling Says Dumbledore Is Gay." Newsweek 16 Oct 2007 18 Oct 2007 .

No comments: