Sunday, September 30, 2007

Seeing Differently

One of the assigned readings for mass communications was ‘Ways of Seeing’ by John Berger. Before reading this book, I judged it as boring to my 21st century mind.

As I read, I was not interested about how oil paintings have revolutionized how the world is seen. I understand that it is defiantly a critical part of history that has helped shape the way modern day art and photographs are thought up. It may just be that I am one of the many who are used to seeing reproductions of classic artworks and therefore cannot appreciate the real talent and meaning behind it (in the original). I may have developed my “…own act of looking at it…” (31). Although this is a topic that seemed uninteresting to me at first, the language and concepts in the chapter was compelling.

When I reached chapter 2, the photo essay of women, I thought it was about how women are portrayed in society. The evolution of housewife to superstar is interesting. “…A woman’s presence expresses her own attitude towards herself and defines what can and can not be done to her” (46). When I first read this, I definitely disagreed. I feel that a woman in the media, such as the women in the essay photos, only represent what they are selling. They do not look independent and in control of themselves in comparison to women in the media today, Madonna for example, but the way this concept was told in the book made it enjoyable. It showed the photo essay first, to let me gather my own thoughts and draw my own conclusions, and than it shot out the text in a sophisticated manner making me think about different interpretations of the essay.

I found it very interesting to see how many modern day images have roots from old paintings and stories. The different versions of Adam and Eve were very interesting to read about because it illustrated the many interpretations of media and the classic bible story, and it also shows how images and models have changed through time.

The part about publicity in the book, the final chapters, was definitely my favourite part and is most relevant to this time because “no other kind of image confronts us so frequently” (129). No other image attacks us so frequently. Publicity and advertisements force their way into everything we do. They are on the subway, the radio, and magazines. These images do not confront us but overtake us. Berger is right in saying that these images create a new person, one that we envy and are jealous of (134). I have never thought of advertisements like that before nor have I thought that glamour is the outcome of being envied.

If you attain all that is advertised, are you happy? If you have passed the level of self-envy and jealousy because you have bought or received all that are advertised, is it worth it? In the first thirty seconds of the following interview from Entertainment Tonight, 'the material girl' speaks of materialistic happiness.



This makes me wonder, if none of these advertised products truly bring happiness, why is everything advertised so thoroughly? I would suppose the answer is to make money, but for the people who create ads that make the money, they are only going to spend their money investing in products that are advertised, and it will just follow a pattern. Advertise, buy into, make money, and buy into.

In conclusion, a half-picture book has taught me more about the medium of images and advertisements than I would have expected. I learned that all of the advertisements out there have a different impact on us as humans. We absorb so many ads on a daily basis and we hardly recognize the cultural and historical backgrounds of them. I love art. I love analyzing painters’ techniques, discussing colour, shape, and texture: but now I have a deeper understanding and appreciation of arts history and impact on current culture. I now witness the impact of publicity in my life, and how the simple act of purchasing something that I see on TV contributes to the ongoing circle of advertisement. Now when I buy something, I will ask myself, is this worth it? Will it make me happy?
Cited Work:
Berger, John. Ways of Seeing. London: British Broadcasting Corporation and Penguin Books, 1972.
Tonight, Enteratinment. Personal interview. 2003. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIfO_3MU5Xo

1 comment:

mark said...

i'm incredibly impressed with your level of critical engagement. let's talk some time about your interest in media. best, m